Well, that escalated quickly.
You know how I made that post about how crazy it could get in the winter meetings? Y’know, with the name of the Mystery Team, the free agents and traded players all redacted? Well, as yesterday went on, it became a lot less likely and a lot less intentionally funny.
So, for those of you who missed it, this happened yesterday:
- The Orioles traded the ever hot-and-cold Jim Johnson to the Athletics for Jemile Weeks, a prospect, and perhaps some magic beans. This was late Monday, but I really didn’t hear about it until I woke up on Tuesday.
- The Red Sox signed AJ Pierzynski.
- The Tigers signed Joe Nathan.
- The Rays, Reds and Diamondbacks had a three-way trade that ended with Tampa getting Ryan Hanigan and Heath Bell.
- It came out that that Mariners apparently are in on Robinson Cano.
- The Padres traded Luke Gregerson to the A’s for Seth Smith.
- The Astros got Dexter Fowler from the Rockies.
- The Marlins signed Jarrod Saltalamacchia to a three-year deal.
- The Yankees signed Jacoby Ellsbury to a seven-year deal, $153 million dollar deal that is absolutely absurd given his injury history and the fact that he’s 30 years old.
- The Rockies signed Justin Morneau to a two-year deal.
- Oh, and we found out this morning that Paul Konerko will return for the White Sox this year, after speculation he would retire, and that Brandon Phillips will likely be back with the Reds, after speculation he would be traded.
Got all of that?