The (exhibition) return of Olympic Stadium got me to thinking for no real reason: What are other former MLB stadiums that are still standing? I don’t mean cases where they knocked down almost the whole thing but kept the diamond there (as has happened at Tiger Stadium), or cases where they demolished most but not all of the stadium and then it was made into something totally different (as with what used to be Braves Field). I’m talking about actual former stadiums that are still standing and could, in theory, still be used for baseball.
I came up with this list:
- Olympic Stadium in Montreal
- Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego
- Candlestick Park in San Francisco
- The Metrodome in Minneapolis (it’s still used for high school games due to the climate of Minnesota)
- The Astrodome in Houston (but maybe not for long)
- The LA Coliseum (was used for a exhibition a few years ago)
- Sun Life (formerly known as Joe Robbie, Pro Player, etc.) Stadium in Miami
- RFK Stadium in Washington
I can’t think of any others… can you?