Another busy week of WBC News, so here’s a bit of a catch-up:
- Team USA’s coaching staff was set earlier this week. Joining the previously-announced Mark DeRosa are Jerry Manuel (bench coach), Andy Pettitte (pitching coach), Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. (hitting coach), Lou Collier (first base coach), Dino Ebel (third base coach), and Dave Righetti (bullpen coach). It’s anyone’s guess how much Griffey and Pettitte will actually be coaching, given how good these players will be and the relatively-limited time the team will be together, but nobody is going to complain about having them hanging around the clubhouse.
- Meanwhile, a slew of further position players have signed up for Team USA:
- Cedric Mullins of the Orioles was confirmed for the team during last weekend’s Little League Classic.
- A few days later, Mookie Betts announced he was “all in” for the tournament.
- Tim Anderson was confirmed yesterday.
- And earlier today the Astros’ Kyle Tucker was also confirmed.
- Lin Yueh-Ping, the manager of the CPBL’s Uni-President Lions, has reportedly been nominated as Taiwan/Taipei’s manager in next year’s WBC by the CPBL. The final decision will be made in September and while the CPBL ultimately isn’t the one in charge their endorsement doubtless makes Lin a favorite.
- Team Pakistan has made another roster announcement on their Twitter: infielder Pierce Khan, who played collegiately at University of Louisiana-Monroe and D2 Cameron University.
- Further confirmation that Sandy Leon plans to play for Colombia.
- Jake Arrieta, who is of Puerto Rican descent, is considering coming out of retirement for the WBC.
- Finally, MLB will be sending a team of players to Korea in November to face a KBO All-Star Team. It would not be surprising if the Korean team in this event ends up featuring a good chunk of Korea’s WBC squad for next season.
There will be another WBC post tomorrow.
Looking for schedule times for qualifiers in Panama?
Sent from my iPhone
I haven’t seen one yet. It appears only the Germany one has the exact schedule set yet.
Thanks for reply
Sent from my iPhone